11 August 2010

Melissa's scraps

Melissa was kind enough to give me some of her leftover bits and pieces when we had our scrappy day on Monday. It was just a few offcuts from her kits but I think I surprised her a bit at how excited I was - all of these were from papers I've never used before. I don't really care if papers aren't the latest or newest ranges, because there's always ones that are 'new for me'. Amongst them were these:



I assured her I'd challenge myself to use them on layouts really soon, and so I did! This is what I did today:


Click to enlarge

I started out playing with the smallest scraps, assembling some handmade flowers. Then I worked my way up to some of the larger scraps. Everything on this one is made from offcuts except for the alphabets and the lonely little Green Tara flower. I love how it turned out, and I haven't decided whether to keep it or to give it to my parents. I may even frame it for my Mum for her birthday later this month. It's an old photograph (2005) but I don't think she'd mind.

I'm going to enter this in the August Song Challenge ("We Are Family") at Challenge Heaven.


For the next layout I added a vintage book page, stamping and bling, machine stitching and watercolour pencil highlights:


Click to enlarge

I'm submitting this one at Scrap the Boys for their August Challenge 1 - using flowers.  I've always loved using flowers on boys' layouts - I don't think it in any way takes away the 'masculinity' of their character.  I really loved the retro colours of these ones, which fit well with the 1960's photograph.

7 comments :

  1. Lovely layouts Karen:) Those flowers are awesome xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are amazing, 2 gorgeous layouts from those offcuts, wow we so need to do these swaps of old papers as you are so right, they are new to the next person, I love everything, the one with your mum & dad and J is just gorgeous. and the scrap the boys with those fussy cut flowers is just beautiful. Wow clever girl, I am learning from you dear friend, off to put a new blog post up on mine too. Melxx
    ps. I love Amy's blog and won some goodies from her recently, she makes the most amazing cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I think that family layout might be my fav of yours yet!!! Im glad you got to meet up with Mel. She is just fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you make using scraps look so appealing Karen. Just love how you turn them into your own works of art! Thanks for the blog love, right back at you! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cool layouts, glad you and Melissa had a scrappy fun time together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen,

    Very lovely results here!! Of course the papers don't always have to be the latest ones! If they appeal to you and get you excited about making something new with it, it's perfect, right?! Well, at least I think so! I loooove papers and that's always what I start with, when I want to make a card and then pick the stamp and embellies with it. I tried to do it the other way around, but doesn't work for me, hi hi! I also found that fabulous give-away from Amy, wow, so amazing! And she also makes wonderful cards!! I love the colors on your layouts, very pretty and the flowers on the bottom of the one with Peter are really nice!! Beautifully made!!

    Hugs, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVING your work... especially that fabulous creation for STB... what a precious vintage photo... just perfect and a delightful LO to showcase it... thanks for playing along.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to leave a message :)