12 May 2020

Rainbow Portrait

I followed an online tutorial by Tammy James over at Soul Scrappers and painted my first ever face.

I found the experience a little stressful because I didn't really feel like I knew what I was doing, and I don't understand the properties of the various media and how/why they are used in different situations. I think in general I like to have a little more control over my creative process.

But... I enjoyed it from a "challenge" point-of-view - it was a learning experience that truly pushed my boundaries and had me doing something totally new to me (like, jumping off a cliff).

I used basic supplies that I had at home - Gelatos, watercolour paints, watercolour pencils, acrylic paint.

So... here are some progress shots:

Ten minutes into the video... watercolour pencils with some water brushed on ~


- - - - - - - 

Twenty minutes in, at the end of Part 1 of the video... not too sure about it.  Rainbow hair done with Gelatos and watercolours.  Feeling timid about going too heavy with the black outlines, but worried it looks too washed out. Not liking the mouth at all!!  Letting her dry off while I locate and load Part 2.


- - - - - - - 

At the end of Part 2, after another 20 minutes (video tutorial) and an extra 20 minutes (replaying the video and trying to follow along).  Still not happy with the mouth,  don't like that her features are out of proportion, but kind of liking the eye!  I'm calling it done because I don't trust myself to keep going.


Thanks for visiting my blog!

1 comment :

  1. You did an AWSOME job! Good for you for going out of your comfort zone. Next time it won't be as stressful... it will be just fun. Thanks for joining in at Soul Scrappers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to leave a message :)